17 - 18 March, 2020
Hotel Palace Berlin, Germany
44 (0) 207 368 9465
Day One – Tuesday 17th March
8:00 am - 8:50 am Registration and Welcome coffee
8:00 am - 8:50 am Private CPO Stream Breakfast - Creating a success culture: What does good look like in pharma procurement?
8:50 am - 9:00 am Chair’s Opening Remarks
Chair’s Opening Remarks
9:00 am - 9:20 am Global CPO Keynote - Next gen procurement – reaching new heights: How Roche used a merger to accelerate procurement capabilities and establish a platform for sustained success
· Exploring the role that procurement plays during mergers and company re-orgs, and how they can be exploited to modernise the function
· Understanding the essential considerations that need to be assessed and tracked during a large-scale procurement transformation
· Identifying key strategic partners and ensuring their smooth transition into the new centralised function through coherent SRM
· Capitalising on change to modernise category management, local sourcing methodologies and learning and development programmes for top talent
· Inspiring a new way to work, including Agile, hackathons, pilot schemes and a fail fast culture, to usher a new era of innovation
· Performing a full post-transition SWOT analysis to measure employee satisfaction, celebrate key successes and identify weaknesses for future development
Marielle BeyerGlobal Head of Procurement
9:20 am - 9:40 am Keynote Interview - Procurement 2025: How the world’s leading pharma brand is modernising its structures and processes to achieve peak procurement performance
· Discussing the need for agile category management to meet the demands of an ever-evolving technological and talent landscape
· Creating a centralised market intelligence function for superior sourcing and SRM capabilities
· Embracing new technological tools to move from tactical to strategic procurement, and provide superior value to business units
· A view to the future – navigating potential threats and capitalising on genuine opportunities to deliver true value-driven procurement
David McKimmGlobal Category Excellence Leader
Johnson & Johnson
9:40 am - 10:20 am Keynote Panel with Live Polling - Value beyond cost: How can you inspire an innovation-driven culture in procurement and successfully communicate the function’s purpose to the business?
· Challenging the status quo amongst senior stakeholders: Proving that procurement is not merely a cost-saving function but a valuable innovation-driver
· Identifying new KPIs for the new era: To incentivise true business impact, how should procurement’s successes and failures be measured?
· Motivating procurement teams to think differently and understand that their decisions have a genuine impact on the lives of others – your patients
· What is patient-centricity, what does it mean and how can it be applied to procurement to create a meaningful mission statement?
Susannah GoochGlobal Head of Direct, Operations, Purchasing & Supplier Management
Tom WellsHead of Procurement - EMEA
Ditte Marie LindbergGlobal CPO
10:20 am - 10:50 am Out-of-Industry Inspiration – Guest Speaker - Lessons from the automotive world – putting procurement in the driving seat: How BMW built a digitalisation-ready culture to supercharge their competitive advantage
· Understanding the skills sets and personas needed to build your high performing team for your digital transformation journey
· One-size-does-not-fit-all: Identifying the key ingredients required to make digitalisation happen in your organisation
· Thinking outside the box to identify opportunities for digitalisation across the business, including sustainability improvements, supplier network management and process automation
· Going beyond simply sharing your vision inside and outside of procurement, but spending time to secure necessary and full buy-in
· Identifying key strategic partners to join you on your journey to provide innovation and inspiration every step of the way
Alexander ScholzHead of Project Management - Purchasing & Supplier Network
10:50 am - 11:30 am Networking Break
MASTERING DIGITAL PROCUREMENT
11:30 am - 11:50 am Case Study - Marginal gains: How to apply AI and automation in a start small, fail fast environment to forge a path to strategic freedom
Sebastien Bals Global CPO UCB
Sebastien Bals Global CPO UCB
· Identifying areas for automation within your business: Where are humans spending too much time on low value tasks?
· Assessing where there is a need for automation, rather than a want, to ensure genuine business impact and not ‘digital for the sake of digital’
· Understanding the key components required for a successful digitalisation business case
· Highlighting the data you already have and acquiring the data you will need to ensure future success
· Exploring genuine examples of automation within RFPs, P2P and contract approvals to make small but significant changes to the way you work
· Examining how best to repurpose your workforce to focus on strategic and high-value tasks in the wake of increased automation
Sebastien BalsGlobal CPO
11:50 am - 12:10 pm Industry Keynote - Forging the path to digitalisation: How to capitalise on key industry trends to accelerate your procurement function and improve year-on-year results
· The state of the industry: What does digitalisation look like in pharma? Where are we on the map and where are we going?
· Understanding the possible: Which technologies should you be implementing now and which should you be considering for the future?
· Riding the waves of change: What are the common internal obstacles that you will face and how can you overcome them?
· Digital talent management: What skills do you have, what skills do you need and how can you get there?
· Building a platform for continuous improvement: Which technological tools can you overlay to ensure your team have real time data to comprehensively manage the performance of new digital implementations?
Ramon GrasmeijerExecutive Director
12:10 pm - 12:50 pm Panel with Live Polling - Turning hype into reality at large to mid-size pharma: What does digitalisation look like for your organisation and how can you build a roadmap for success?
· Digital means different things for different people – How do you define digital in your organisation?
· Building a realistic digital roadmap for your business by identifying areas for potential wins, whilst weighing up internal hunger for change and a desire to spend
· Mastering stakeholder management to convince sceptics of your plan and to manage the expectations of dreamers – Keeping it relevant, realistic and impactful
· Balancing the need for regulatory compliance and the clamour for digital – How can you win both battles?
· Using market intelligence tools to identify suppliers that match your priorities and vision, and truly offer the best product for you
· Keeping up with the rate of change – How to make sure that your digital roadmap is one for now and the future
Elly BisschopsGlobal Head of Procurement Operations
Nick JenkinsonGlobal Head of Procurement
Silvia LopezGlobal Head of Procurement
12:50 pm - 2:10 pm Networking Lunch
Stream A - DRIVING PROCUREMENT TRANSFORMATIONS2:10 pm - 2:50 pm Panel - How can you lead successful procurement transformations to create a culture of change and innovation?
- Beginning with the end in mind: Understanding the overall goal of your transformation and ensuring the communication of a clear and consistent vision
- Setting ambitious but achievable targets that challenge your team and result in genuine innovation
- Identifying the common obstacles associated with procurement transformation and discussing effective methods to overcome them
- Winning hearts and minds: Going beyond acceptance and gaining full buy-in for your strategy
- Leading by example: Filtering your desire for change and pursuit for innovation to your team, and ensuring that a hunger for further growth remains after the transformation
- Accessing the successes of your transformation and using the failures as inspiration for future projects
Thierry FaustenDoctoral Researcher, Supply Chain Management
Ilona PiekoszewskaGlobal Head of Indirect & Capital Procurement
John WenzHead of Procurement - EMEA
Rui CardosoGlobal Head of Procurement
Stream A - DRIVING PROCUREMENT TRANSFORMATIONS2:50 pm - 3:10 pm Interview - New tech for new challenges: How to implement transformative technologies to improve efficiency and increase innovation
- Taking a people, process, technology approach – Getting the right people, in the right place, at the right time, ready to adopt new tools
- Demonstrating ROI to executives to win financial and physical support for your project
- Acting as the bridge between internal stakeholders to achieve a seamless implementation and adoption period across multiple business lines
- Accumulating the right data and applying the right analytical tools to assess the successes and failures of the implementation, and set a roadmap for improvements
Stream A - DRIVING PROCUREMENT TRANSFORMATIONS3:10 pm - 3:50 pm Case Study Revolution – The pros and cons of ‘traditional’ category management: How to navigate an ever-evolving technological and talent landscape to develop a modern category management strategy
- Taking stock of your current category management structure and assessing whether new technologies are likely to fall through the cracks, outside of the remit of traditional category managers
- Debating whether Category Management is even relevant anymore and whether a more pragmatic and flexible approach to category management could enable greater inter-disciplinary collaboration and innovation?
- What are the key considerations you need to make, and key decisions you need to take, before altering your categories?
- How to secure business buy-in for category alterations, as well as within procurement
- Are the fast-evolving nature of technologies and expertise required to source, purchase and implement them leading to a talent crisis within procurement? What does a future Category Manager look like?
- Should category management refinement remain an on-going project or should changes be limited to a specific timeframe and stability ensured?
Andreas NeilsGlobal Head of Commercial Procurement
Stream B - INDIRECT PROCUREMENT IN THE DIGITAL ERA2:10 pm - 2:50 pm Panel - How can you collaborate with your trusted agencies to exploit new digital tools to stand out in a highly-regulated and competitive marketplace?
- How can procurement and marketing collaborate internally to identify key technologies to accelerate their marketing strategy?
- Tackling internal biases towards existing, more traditional, agencies and influencing stakeholders to open their minds and eyes to what is possible when partnering with new agencies and using new tech How can procurement position themselves as an appealing customer to in-demand marketing agencies in order to create a stable basis for strategic partnership?
- Presenting your priorities and goals to your trusted suppliers to invite them to suggest solutions and run mutually beneficial pilot schemes together
- Managing expectations to reduce agency turnover and create longer-term and more sustainable partnerships
- Which marketing technologies are currently under-utilised within pharma and should be exploited in the next two years?
- What steps must be taken to underpin all major marketing activities with a data-driven approach?
Pascal DucheixHead of Procurement - Marketing, EMEA
Denise VesschemontGlobal Head of Procurement - Marketing & Medical Agency Services
Derek HobbesGlobal Category Manager - Marketing & Sales
Stream B - INDIRECT PROCUREMENT IN THE DIGITAL ERA2:50 pm - 3:10 pm Interview – How to bring innovation to facilities management to better manage costs, improve sustainability and empower your workforce
- Understanding the direct correlation between effective facilities management and a productive workforce
- Discussing the essential role of facilities management in meeting wider business objectives relating to risk management and workplace safety
- Contributing to your business’s CSR strategy through workplace sustainability efforts
- Exploring the role of Indirect procurement in facilities management and know what to outsource and what to keep in-house
Stream B - INDIRECT PROCUREMENT IN THE DIGITAL ERA3:10 pm - 3:30 pm Interview - How to unify internal and external stakeholders to achieve an integrated contingent workforce programme
- Building strong relationships throughout the business in order to influence the entire HR value chain
- Addressing procurement’s role as the ambassador for the business between HR and solution providers, such as Recruitment Process Outsourcing (RPO) providers, to ensure that suppliers are being maximised and technology tools are being used to their fullest
- Using Strategic Workforce Planning (SWP) processes to understand HR’s most pressing challenges and upcoming priorities in order to take a proactive, rather than reactive, approach to HR procurement and contingent workforce management
- Working with legal, compliance and HR to ensure that regulatory demands remain met, the business is aware of new legal requirements (such as IR35) and that changes relating to Brexit are dealt with effectively
- How can procurement, IT and HR work together to create a seamless on-boarding process for temporary labour, including full orientation and access to key communication and technology tools?
Johan AeyelsHead of Indirect - EMEA
Stream B - INDIRECT PROCUREMENT IN THE DIGITAL ERA3:30 pm - 3:50 pm Interview - How to collaborate with Marketing to build a network of traditional, non-traditional, global and local agencies to maximise the power of your marketing campaigns
- Exploring the relationship between Marketing and Procurement and how strong collaboration can lead to greater supplier outcomes
- Unifying your marketing agency strategy with your omnichannel approach to create powerful marketing campaigns
- Discussing the key considerations you need to make to ascertain whether a start-up is able to offer scalable solutions to meet your scope of work
- How to balance larger, industry expert agencies with smaller, local agencies in order to meet geographical regulatory compliance and provide messaging that resonates strongly region-by-region
- Influencing without mandate: How can you ‘sell’ the benefits of one agency over another internally, to streamline efforts, without ‘telling’ local managers who they must use?
- Despite regulatory rigour, should pharma be considering non-industry specific start-up agencies, to drive true innovation and bring genuinely new ideas to the table?
Andrew KentHead of Indirect
Hans GilhuysHead of Commercial Excellence - EMEA
Stream C Synergy Workshops - MODERNISING DIRECT PROCUREMENT2:10 pm - 3:00 pm Synergy Workshop - What are the key steps to implementing sustainability as a cornerstone of your sourcing strategy to drive innovation and improve CSR?
- How can procurement leaders inspire a sustainability-focused mind set internally and externally?
- Sustainability in sourcing and outsourcing – Selecting the right partners: What steps can be taken pre-partnership and at the contract stage to ensure that your partner’s sustainability strategy align with yours?
- Identifying synergies in sustainability and responsible sourcing initiatives
- Discussing key metrics to track your sustainable and ethical sourcing programme, and present results to senior stakeholders
- Sustainability beyond environmental impact: Incorporating modern day slavery, cyber security, AI and other ethical considerations
Helge TippmannSenior Category Manager - Outsourcing & Energy, Strategic Sourcing
Novo Nordisk A/S
Stream C Synergy Workshops - MODERNISING DIRECT PROCUREMENT3:00 pm - 3:50 pm Industry Synergy Workshop - How can you effectively manage risk to navigate the challenges of global geopolitical pressures on your supply chain?
- Analysing the level of risk in the post-Brexit era, in addition to strained trade relations between the US and China
- Employing robust risk management processes to maintain the integrity of APIs and raw materials
- Preparing for a rainy day: Discussing the pros and cons of stockpiling supplies as a risk mitigation tactic
- Understanding when to enlist second source suppliers to protect against price fluctuations and tariff changes as a result of geopolitical changes
Stream D Creative Boardrooms - BECOMING THE CPO OF THE FUTURE… NOW (By invitation - only)2:10 pm - 3:00 pm Creative Boardroom - How can the pharma CPO community collaborate to revolutionise performance metrics to ensure that you are truly measured on value added beyond cost savings?
- How are CPOs changing the conversation at an executive level regarding the evolution of the role?
- What are the common challenges when trying to change performance metrics within your organisation?
- If traditional cost measures are no longer applicable, what metrics should be considered when suggesting prospective changes?
- What successes can be shared in regards to breaking the mould on performance metrics and overhauling procurement KPIs?
- How do you inspire your teams to be bigger picture thinkers and to consider value as their main driver, and how are they rewarded for doing so?
- What is the future of procurement, if not a cost-saving function, and what does this mean for the skillsets required?
Ditte Marie LindbergGlobal CPO
Stream D Creative Boardrooms - BECOMING THE CPO OF THE FUTURE… NOW (By invitation - only)3:00 pm - 3:50 pm Creative Boardroom - How can CPOs ensure that their organisations are modernising technological capabilities to deliver greater patient outcomes?
- Is the pharmaceutical industry, as a whole, doing enough to adopt disruptive technologies, such as AI, RPA, Blockchain and Cloud Computing?
- Where can CPOs draw inspiration from to understand what is possible for them and their organisations?
- What experiences of successful digital transformations within pharma can be shared and learned from?
- Putting your neck on the line: What are the key ingredients to a successful business case for emerging technologies?
- Where else within the business can CPOs create alliances to drive digital transformation forwards?
- How can the procurement community as a whole help to push this agenda and ensure that sceptics are converted, and new technologies are applied to deliver true value?
Elly BisschopsGlobal Head of Procurement Operations
Sebastien BalsGlobal CPO
3:50 pm - 4:20 pm Networking Break
4:20 pm - 4:40 pm Out of Industry Inspiration – Guest Speaker - Procurement in the modern world: How to redefine your skillset to future-proof your function
Malcolm Harrison CEO CIPS
Malcolm Harrison CEO CIPS
· Emerging trends: What does the future of procurement look like and where can it add most value to the business?
· What are the core competencies required to be a successful procurement executive today and tomorrow?
· Identifying skills shortages within your procurement function and building internal and external strategies to address them and strengthen your capabilities
· What are the key traits of a successful procurement leader and how can you harness them to build a pipeline of future pioneers?
4:40 pm - 5:10 pm Interview with Live Polling - Investment in people: How to engage, excite and develop your best people to hire and retain top talent in your business
· A recent study found that only 50% of pharma CPOs spent 1% or more of their budgets on training and development, and with only 44% believing that their teams have the capabilities required to succeed, is pharma procurement really doing enough to develop its talent?
· Exploring successful skills enhancement programmes and how they can be applied to fast track the capabilities of your procurement team
· Balancing specialisation with a need for a robust and varied set of skills and experiences for your high performing team members
· Debating whether training and development should be provided fully in-house or outsourced, or whether a hybrid model is best?
· Discussing how to build robust personal development plans and roadmaps in the face of re-orgs, M&As and ever-evolving category management structures
· Exploring how to successfully manage a diverse workforce across multiple geographies, to meet their needs and ensure career progression
Daniel JohanssonGlobal Head of Procurement
Marcus DurazoHead of Tactical Procurement
5:10 pm - 5:15 pm Chair’s Closing Remarks
Sam SmithVice President, Global Solutions & Practice Group Leader, Life Sciences & Healthcare